Equipping people with Hope and Healing through the love of Jesus Christ

Friday, March 4, 2011

How do we survive the darkness

"Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep. If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take."

How many countless people have prayed this prayer. And so often half-heartedly. Maybe because it's the only prayer they know aside from "God is great, God is good now we thank Him for our food."

The times in which we are living right now calls for far greater prayers and far greater comfort than what these afford us. We are faced with a time in history in which we must totally be assured that the living God, who is our Creator, is actively involved in our lives. We must walk in the truth that He is the security and peace that we need.

Now is NOT the time to fall into the trap of fear, half-truths, gossip and frustration. Now is the time to have a TRUE peace of mind. Peace of mind that only comes from trust in the Living God who is more that abundantly able to take care of the present and the future.

The author of most of the book of Psalm is King David. He knew darkness, fear and uncertainty. He was chased by the mad man King Saul; pursued by his own son who had murder on his mind; led the nation of Israel through many a fierce battle; fell into a destructive pattern in life that led to adultery, lying and murder...just to name a few things he went through in life. Yet the man knew where his peace, comfort, rest and certainty truly came from.

These are a few things that the distressed Psalmist found that worked for him during his times of darkness.

Psalm 1:1, 2 - Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers; but his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night.

Psalm 16:7-9 - I bless the LORD who gives me counsel; in the night also my heart instructs me. I have set the LORD always before me; because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken. Therefore my heart is glad, and my whole being rejoices; my flesh also dwells secure.

Psalm 42:8 - By day the LORD commands his steadfast love, and at night his song is with me, a prayer to the God of my life.

Psalm 63:5-8 - My soul will be satisfied as with fat and rich food, and my mouth will praise you with joyful lips, when I remember you upon my bed, and meditate on you in the watches of the night; for you have been my help, and in the shadow of your wings I will sing for joy. My soul clings to you; your right hand upholds me.

Psalm 119:55, 56 - I remember your name in the night, O LORD, and keep your law. This blessing has fallen to me, that I have kept your precepts.

Psalm 119:148 - My eyes are awake before the watches of the night, that I may meditate on your promise.

I recommend that you visit the ESV website to read the full passage of these verses.

What is the darkness you are facing?

How can you be like the Psalmist and turn that night time experience into one that ends up rejoicing in the LORD?

Bearing His torch

Pastor Eldon


No comments:

Post a Comment